Zenwalk 6.0 has been released !
We are proud to announce the 6th major version of Zenwalk GNU/Linux. This release comes with the biggest changelog in the history of the project to offer many new features and optimizations.
As usual, our challenge was to provide latest versions of the most modern applications as well as kernel, while keeping the usual level of simplicity and performance that makes Zenwalk special in the GNU/Linux world.
We spent the 2 last months polishing the desktop around the new XFCE 4.6, making sure that this brand new version is well integrated into Zenwalk 6.0.
We also replaced Gnome Office with our lightweight and optimized version of Openoffice 3.0.1, splited in 2 packages : the base package provides Writer, Calc, Impress and Draw ; the “extra” package (available via Netpkg) provides Math, Darabase and Java support.
The Totem movie player is also part of the adventure, replacing Mplayer, which is still available from our growing package repository.
Here's a summary of the most important changes :
- Kernel 126.96.36.199 with gspca (supports many USB webcams)
- The new XFCE 4.6
- Openoffice 3.0.1 replaces Gnome Office as the main productivity suite
- Wicd becomes the main network configuration tool
- New Zenpanel with integrated Disk Manager, Wifi and Wired Network Manager
- Gksu keyring based desktop granting system
- Faster boot (tuned init scripts, with realtime I/O scheduler)
- PAM authentication has been added to the system
- Improved suspend/hibernate, with XFCE Power Manager
- new Netpkg with orphan dependencies and "offline operation" support
- The powerful Exaile juke-box stream player has been added
- New artwork
- A simplified installer
We hope that you will enjoy being able to perform nearly any office or multimedia operation right out of the box with this “single ISO” operating system, installed in 20 minutes on any modern computer.
Have fun !