I am happy to announce the 3rd beta release of Zenlive 7.2 !
This version is featuring the latest kernel 3.2.5 with support for aufs
3.2, bootsplash and bfs based on the latest Zenwalk snapshot development
version and the latest slackware-live-scripts 0.3.6 framework
For the first time ZenLive (even without any extra content) will not fit
on on a single 700 MB CD-R anymore, but since DVD is a common media and
due to the extra space that lets us include some additional goodies, not
part of the Zenwalk Standard Edition, it has been decided to provide DVD
ISO files only.
Well, what do we have under the hood:
- New xz compression squashfs 4.0 (now in vanilla kernel)
- All new simple Installer and Live-scripts
- On-the-fly live optional live module activation during the running
live session, thanks to aufs3 and a loader script
- Persistent changes feature is now supported, even over network shares!
(Need some more testers)
- Besides Standard Zenwalk package set, ZenLive provides some additional
packages for more functionality
- Additional language packs & full Japanese language input support
(should work for Korean and Chinese languages too)
- Fluxbox window manager and related apps now packaged together with the
standard release as an alternative to Xfce4
- nouveau driver included in kernel 3.2.5 is now enabled by default,
providing a _good_ 3D acceleration performance and support for a wide
range of NVidia Cards (no need to ship the proprietary driver anymore )
- Broadcom wifi "WL" proprietary driver is shipped with this release as
optional live module
- New bootsplash theme
- Updated ZenLive Manual addressing the changes introduced by switching
My honest thanks goes to the Zenwalk Main Dev-Team, Pat and the
Slackware Crew and of course Frank Endres the developer of the
sophisticated Slackware-Live-scripts and all the open source community.
Without the hard work and effort of you all, ZenLive wouldn't have been
Get ZenLive 7.3 Beta from here:
Please note, that this is still a beta version subject to changes,
especially since stable Zenwalk 7.2 hasn't been officially released yet.
You can help finalizing by testing and bug reporting.
Thanks and have fun!
I have polished the beta2 a bit taking all the feedback I got into account. It also has all the latest updates from snapshot.
This one will hopefully the last beta before the final release.
You can get it from the link above.
An updated build is now available for testing.
We are close to finalize this release. ;)